Tuesday, December 15, 2009

There is no easy fix

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day. She had had weight loss surgery over a year ago and lost the weight that she wanted to. Now over a year later she is finding that she is starting to gain weight back and she is not happy about it. The type of surgery she had entailed creating a small pouch for a stomach. The problem is that once you stretch the pouch it is stretched and you can't have further surgery to redo it. I have always though of weight loss surgery as a radical last resort. It is an easy fix, but it isn't permanent. The other issue that I have is that rather than approaching the problem from an information standpoint we avoid the real issue of why the person is overweight to start with. There are very many different reasons that a person can become overweight or even obese. A few years back I went to a an appointment with my doctor and during our talk the subject of my weight came up. He wanted to prescribe me with a pill to help me lose weight. In the end he couldn't because my blood pressure was too high to make use of the pill acceptable. As I look back on that day, I think to myself how ridiculous the idea was. The physician had no real understanding of why I was overweight. He just had the facts in front of him that I was. How do you treat a problem without identifying the underlying causes behind it. It is my goal with this weight loss / food program to provide as much information as possible so that people can make educated decisions about dealing with their weight and how to approach weight loss. By understanding the background of how our body works we can determine the best actions to get the results we want. I know that this is a slow process and that people do get bored easily. That is why I am always trying to find new and exciting options for healthy meals. That is why I also suggest a slow approach to exercise. It is also why I don't consider this a diet plan, but rather a food plan and a way of eating naturally. I want people to be able to share the same type of success that I am. Just remember, there is no easy fix!

No comments:

Post a Comment